The Fist Duke of Wellington instructed his shoemaker, Holby of St James's Street, London, to modify the 18th century Hessian boot. The boot was designed of soft calfskin leather which stopped at mid-calf closely fitting around the leg proving hard-wearing for battle.
- In 1852 a French man named Hiram Hutchinson met Charles Goodyear, who just invented vulcanization process of natural rubber. Goodyear went on to manufacture the famous tyres while Hutchinson bought the patent to manufacture footwear. Hutchinson moved back to France starting the company "Aigle".
- An American entrepreneur named Mr. Henry Lee Norris produced the first rubber Wellington boots in Scotland in 1856. Starting the company North British Rubber Company now known as Hunter Boot.
- Diana Spencer Green Hunters at her engagement to Prince of Wales in Scotland
- Kate Moss Black Hunters at Glastonbury
- Lily Allen Fuchsia Hunters at Glastonbury
- Kelly Osbourne Pumpkin at Glastonbury
- Smantha Cameron wife of David Cameron "Tory Leader" in Aubergine Hunters after 2009 Oxs Run
- Liz Hurley Black Hunters on her farm
- Madonna Black Hunter on her English Estate
- Angelina Jolie Red Hunters in film Mr & Mrs Smith
- British Royal Family (Queen Green Hunters)
- "Give it some Welly" (Football Chant to Stephen Gerrard)
- "I didn't get where I am today by going on and on about gumboots" CJ in the "The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin"
- " The Green Welly Brigade" (Describing the Countryside Alliance)
- " Brilliant to the top of his army boots, those boots were leather Wellingtons." Lloyd George describing General Douglas Haig.
The Wellington Boot at War
- The leather Wellington boot was worn by the North and South during the American Civil War. After the war the Wild West's greatest heroes such as Buffalo Bill always wore leather Wellingtons, the basis for the modern cowboy boot.
- 1853-1856 during the Crimean War the Light Brigade wore Wellingtons
- In 1917 a"Blighty" magazine produced by and for the troops writes about a game played by the troops in the trenches involving throwing a Wellington into a set of designated shell holes. This game is still played today now called "Welly Wanging."
- The leather Wellington was the basis for the German jackboot. All the Axis forces wore the jackboot including Joseph Stalin. in 1918 Stalin the dictator, who was the son of a boot maker commissioned a shoemaker to construct a pair of black leather Wellingtons to his specification.
- 1950's information booklet "Protection Against Nuclear Attack" reads, if you have to go outside put on a hat or headscarf, coat done up to neck, gloves and stout shoes or Wellington boots.
Wellington Boot in Fashion
- 1850-51 American Reformer Ameila Bloomer wrote advocated women wear sensible coat-like frock worn over bloomers that should be tucked into soft leather wellingtons during the winter.
- 1888 Playwright Oscar Wilde writes an article advocating women should wear Wellington boots to give them more freedom.
- Princess Anne commissioned the Hunter boot company to make her a pair of bespoke Black Hunters.
- 1980 Lady Diana Spencer was photographed in a pair of Green Hunters sparking a surge in sales.
- 2009 Hunter have combined labels with Jimmy Choo producing the most elegant Wellingtons on earth.
Visit our site on http://www.targetwholesale.co.uk and Check Out Our Wellie Offers!